Monday, December 05, 2005

Jay-Z, Oldboy and the Fantastic 4

Jay-Z on Cover of Rolling Stone magazine

It’s really hard to hate Jay-Z. I don’t know if it’s true or if the man has a great publicist but every time I read an ever so rare interview with the man he always seems to back up the effortless cool that he exudes on stage. Hiphop loves to mythologize its greatest artists and while 2pac undoubtedly still leads the popularity race thanks to his Bob Marleyesque martyrdom and his 10 thousand posthumous releases, Jay-Z has pretty much become my personal favorite Hiphop image/icon. After all, is there a better story than an 80’s B-boy who dreams of becoming a rap star only to nearly lose his life to the drug trade before not only becoming the best rapper alive but also one of the most successful businessmen in the music industry? Rags to riches indeed. What’s even more remarkable is that he’s managed to keep his ear to the streets and ultimately silenced all of his critics. Sure backpackers hated in 97-00 but in retrospect backpackers were wrong about everything. Now that he’s ended his longstanding feud with Nas there’s nary a hater in sight, only those who think he’s overrated which is pretty much the best you can hope for in the bitter field of Hiphop fans. Anyways, the article is a great read and certainly worth searching out online or in a newsstand.

Oldboy re-appreciation…and remake hate

I saw Oldboy before I started blogging so I never quite got the chance to gush about how great a film it was. Well I saw it again yesterday and I must say that it really ranks up there with the best movies of the past few years. It’s the easy obvious choice for the best film I’ve seen this year and I may give that nod to a spoiler that I saw at Fantasia but it’s certainly the best film of 2003-2004 whenever you consider that it was actually released (damn slow distribution…). Obviously since everyone thinks its so cool, Hollywood MUST ruin it with a shitty remake, a process I’m angrily against. While I have nothing against slated director Justin Lin in theory (I heard Better Luck Tommorow is good) there really is no reason to turn a perfectly good movie into a Nicholas Cage vehicle… although the Bollywood remake could be intriguing if only for the sheer hilarity.

They’re actually making Fantastic 4 TWO? WITH THE SAME GUY?

Sweet Odin’s nostrils, is Hollywood is retarded? That’s all I have to say on the issue of Fox having zero pattern recognition as to the absolute shit that Tim Story produced on the last fantastic 4 film? Not to mention Taxi? Seriously, it’s like Hollywood WANTS us to avoid their movies. It certainly doesn’t take a genius to figure out that this guy just made not one but two absolute stinkers and it might be a good idea to put him out to pasture or at least downgrade him to something a little less visible. Then again, he probably made them on the cheap, saved the studio a gang of money and thus was profitable which goes to show that in Hollywood the almighty dollar rules all.

EDIT: Turns out that bitch made 350 Million which explains why they're using him again...and does nothing to dispell my point although I'd like to send an extra special fuck you to whoever supported that bullshit first movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home