Wednesday, November 23, 2005

NEW RAEKWON THE CHEF

Only Built for Cuban Linx Niggaz (the full title) is my favorite album…period. Let that sink in for a minute, I’m cosigning this above the White Album, Darkside of the Moon, Led Zep IV and everything from Tom Waits, Bjork, Radiohead, Nirvana and anyone else you might like. Sunk in yet? Good.

With that out of the way, you might understand that I am to say the least, hyped about Rae’s upcoming sequel album Cuban Linx II. Of course, much like the Godfather III, I’m not kidding myself as its damn tough to achieve perfection a decade after the originals (Ghost’s Ironman can be the Godfather II if you’re picky about my analogies) but I still expect an awesome album, particularly since The RZA has revealed that it’s basically his number 1 priority. Well luckily, I don’t seem to have much to worry about now that the first single State of Grace has leaked. Here’s what went through my mind as I listened to it

Stage 1: Oh SHIT, it leaked. AND it’s got a Scarface sample!

Stage 2: Wow, this is NOT a typical Hiphop single; they’re taking this shit seriously.

Stage 3: RZA could have done more than a 2 bar loop, no one’s doing that though, and this is an early leak…

Stage 4: Wait, who cares, this is awesome and Raekwon flows like crazy on this.

Yes, I am very pleased by this song and it bodes far better than say, what I heard from RZA on ODB’s never released last album or that half-assed MF Doom collaboration. I wonder if the whole album will have this tone though, it’s a lot more grandiose and epic than the original which was lot less glorifying of the drug trade. I guess that’s the influence of the ever more cartoonish rap industry though, and if anyone has a right to do huge Mafioso epics its Wu-Tang.

Now download the damn single here.

EDIT: I think I listened to this damn single 50 times today while working on an Andrei Tarkovsky paper. It just keeps getting better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home