Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Jewish Reggae part 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Last Passover I uploaded Feast of the Passover by The Congos. It was a fine track which promoted Jewish-Rasta unity (kind of) and had a smashing Lee Perry beat to it to boot, so in keeping with this Jamaican-Jewish blogging tradition (if I do it twice, it’s a tradition) I’m uploading Desmond Dekker & The Aces career highlight The Israelites. Notably used in Gus Van Sant’s Drugstore Cowboy, the song rides a powerful initial R&B intro into a chugging early reggae/ska beat. Like the previous upload, there’s not much Jewish content in the song which mostly refers to the song’s catchy hook which really doesn’t have much to do with anything. Still, it’s a good song for the high holidays and a good way to get my mandatory cultural quota up. So happy Rosh Hashanah and uh…an atoning Yom Kippur.

Personally I’ll be spending the night seeing The Decemberists.

1 Comments:

Blogger SCHRmm said...

I for one have never understood the real link, maybe I'm a bit ignorant but everytime I speak to a rastafarian (I have tried) they start ranting on about jews, real jews, fakes and me being the cause of all evil. At some point I just quietly leave the room feeling more confused than ever.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home